Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Portraits Around Your Home: Your Bedroom

Your bed is a great place to take portraits. Your headboard, the wall, photos, whatever you've got at the head of your bed is great for the background because it tends to be symmetrical. Your bed looks comfy and adds an element of familiarity to the portrait.  Also, since you are working with pleasing surroundings, you don't have to worry so much about a blurry background or trying to get a shallow depth of field.  For this shot, I used my kit lens!  No 50mm here...  It was shot at aperture: f 4.2   shutter: 1/160 and ISO:400....So I could have slowed my shutter down to 1/100, zoomed out more with my lens to get a lower aperture number and bumped my ISO up even more if I were working with less light.  As you can see in the second picture, that was not a problem.  There was tons of light.  But if I were working with smaller windows, or I was farther away from them, I had some wiggle room with my exposure settings!  Too much technical info?  Is the info from the class getting hazy?  Ask me questions!  Or try this out for yourself and bring your results to my review session.


Just to give you an idea of what I was working with......



So...Tips for making this work:

1) Make your bed! ;-)
2) Open your blinds, curtains all the doors...get as much sunlight in as possible.  Choose the time of day when there is the most sunlight in this room.
3) Have fun!  There isn't much to say about this set-up.  It's pretty simple.  You can let your kids jump on the bed.  They'll probably be pretty co-operative if you are letting them do something out of the ordinary and fun like that!  Ask them to hang their heads off the back of the bed.  Get creative.

I really love this set-up and I've used it a lot over the years...as you can see.




No comments:

Post a Comment